The Sisters

 

The Franciscan Sisters first arrived on June 13, 1902, and opened the St. Anthony School on September 17 with the enrollment of about 200 mostly bilingual children in grades 1-3. The original school was housed on parish North Bennet Place property.  After 1904, a building that was to house the parish school for the next 48 years was constructed further down on North Bennet Street with the overwhelming enrollment of 400 children.

After 1910, the flourishing community prompted a restoration of the upper church and the Franciscan Sisters moved into the convent on 31 Prince Street.